Sunday, July 22, 2012

My First Linky Party



I am a newbie...a brand new newbie, so I think I qualify for this party. Janis at Grade Three is the Place For Me is hosting. I have jumped into this party even though I'm not sure I like the way my blog looks (I have been "shopping" for something that jumps up and says...THIS IS YOU! GO FOR IT! So far I haven't found it yet). I am nervous about linking up because I am an old grandma and technology, although I love it, sometimes makes me nervous. Sooo we will see if I get this right and get everything connected and working.



So here are my Newbie Questions:

1. what state you are in
2. your current teaching position
3. your teaching experience
4. when you started blogging
5. share a blogging tip / blogging resource

1. I am in Nevada...the I-80, miles and miles from everywhere part. Yes, it snows here in the winter. The temperature dips below zero at least once or twice (sometimes more) each winter. We have lots of cowboys and mining (mostly gold) and even some gambling. It is 4 hours to Salt Lake, 4 1/2 to Boise, 5 to Reno, and 2 1/2 to Twin Falls (all are considered day trips). If you need a really good doctor, a Target or Michael's fix, most any major shopping, (for me) it's off to Salt Lake--or maybe Boise because I have family in both places, and then it doesn't have to be over and back. We do have a K-Mart and a Wal-Mart...so it's not too bad (and certainly better than it was when we moved here 20 years ago; I used to have nightmares about Santa not being ready because there was nowhere for him to shop).

2. Currently I am teaching Kindergarten...this was a change for me last year (I hadn't taught K since my daughter was in Kindergarten. She is now over 30)
.

3. I have taught on and off in Idaho and Nevada for 22 years. My first job was 32 first graders (10 girls) in 1978; then I got to be a stay-at-home mom for a couple of stretches and loved it! Recently I have mostly taught 2nd and 3rd. I have taught grades K through 6th (reading/math Title 1, first in 1-2, then 3-6, so not as much experience in the upper grades).

4. I've been thinking about blogging since I discovered all the amazing bloggers in Kindergarten and First Grade last fall. I actually started just last week.

5. I don't know enough to give any tips (but I do love the suggestion to turn off the word verification...I hate those things!) My best resources have been Teaching Blog Traffic School and Blogging 101 from virtualteachingexpo.com. Both of them cost me a little bit of money, but well worth the expense, and I am considering it professional development.


If you stayed clear through to the end...leave me some love!
Terri

5 comments:

  1. Yea! Welcome to blogging! I hope you love it as much as I do. If you ever need any help or some bloggy tips, just ask. =)

    Only 10 girls your first year and 22 boys??!!??!?? Holy Moly! Bless your heart!

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello,
    I found you through the Newbie Blog hop and I love your award. I have nominated you for the versatile blogger award. Please visit my blog to accept.
    Michelle
    Fashionably in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you through the Newbie Blog hop and I nominated you (too!) for the versatile blogger award. Hop on over to pick it up!

    Stacey
    A Ray of Kindergarten Sunshine
    http://rayofkindergartensunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi...I just found your blog and am now a follower. I'd love for you to visit back and check out my blog (and enter my giveaway, if you'd like).
    Amy
    Adventures In Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new blogger too and you are way more ahead than you think! I would love for you to follow me too :)

    http://kindergartensafaris.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete