Sunday, March 8, 2015

Five for Friday.....Reading Week 2015

What a busy week we had celebrating reading and all things Dr. Suess.  I want to link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching and Kacey to share some of our fun.
http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2015/03/five-for-friday-linky-party-march-6th.html

I started the week setting the stage and transforming my room into a Truffula forest, (maybe not a complete forest....but close) and pulling out all my Dr. Seuss books so they are easy to find.  My husband never leaves a Dr. Seuss book on a thrift store shelf, so I have quite a collection.  Kohls always has those cute stuffed animals and taller books, so I try to get books and animals there too.  My kiddos LOVE the animals.


We worked on a book project this week.  Each student was to read and respond to five Dr. Seuss books.  We have a hat die cut in our workroom and I used that to make the pages.  We also practiced rhyming and writing descriptions. 


We of course had dress up days.....on hat day, I opted for being Daisy Head Mayzie.  Friday (dress as your favorite character) one of my students was Daisy Head Mayzie.  Look how cute she is!


Thursday was Read in Your Pajamas Day.  I think that is my favorite day. 
Everyone sits in the hallway, or in a classroom and reads.  They find a stuffed buddy, a friend, a sibling and read....they read or are read to for a whole hour.  It is wonderful!


Friday was Green Eggs and Ham.  Our local Kiwanis and High School Key Club served up breakfast for us.  It is also Dress as Your Favorite Character Day, so I came as the Cat in the Hat and my students were Thing 1 through 23 (actually 17, some were sick and some came in their own costumes)


Hope you had a GREAT week too!

2 comments:

  1. I love your Truffula forest - I think it looks marvelous!

    Cheers,
    Mrs. Harris Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun week! I love how your school does "read in your pajamas" day. It's such a great week to encourage a love for reading!

    ReplyDelete