Saturday, May 23, 2015

Kindergarten Favorites....an End of the Year Keepsake

Can you believe it??  The school year is almost gone!  Where did the time go?

This time of year we get so caught up in what needs to be done, and what we want to get done .....that I, for one, run out of time.  Last year I saw this post by Katie Mense of Little Warriors and just had to give these keepsake pictures a try.

http://littlekinderwarriors.blogspot.com/2014/05/kindergarten-favorites-pictures.html
They turned out so wonderful I wanted to share this idea with you.  It is easy and you can pull it together fairly quickly.  I loved giving these to my students on the last day.

I create these keepsake pictures in powerpoint and print them off at our local Walgreens or Walmart.  They don't take a lot of time and if they are easy enough for me to do, you can do them too.  Just follow these simple steps.

First....find an empty wall (outside is good) and take a digital picture of each student.  Make sure that the child is way over to one side (I like to use the left).

Next...drop (insert) that picture into a powerpoint presentation.  One picture on each slide.  I love creating in powerpoint.


For this you need to select: design, slide size, standard (4:3), landscape.  I also change my settings to 11 inches by 8.5 (standard paper).

Then, I add my textbox.  I get all my fonts just the way I want them, and before I start typing in too much information I duplicate the slide.  That way I can easily change the picture, change the text, and make one slide for each student.


If I right click on the picture I can change it, or I can go to format and the menu there also has a button for change the picture.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.  Once you get all the slides with their pictures, then go back and change the name, the color, add information (did I say, don't forget to survey your students and keep those little slips of paper?)


Last...when all the slides are done save it as either a jpeg or png.  I save both my original powerpoint (in case I need to go back to edit) and then a jpeg file.

Now you are ready to take them to where ever you have your pictures printed!

Have a GREAT end of the year!!

13 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Perfect and super easy for any grade level! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year I will have to do second grade favorites. :)

      Delete
  2. How sweet! I think I'll be taking pictures of my kiddos next week!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I hope you can give this a try! I haven't taken my pictures for this year yet (must put it on my to do list for this week). When I was writing this and looking at last year's pictures, I realized that some of the pictures were taken the very last week of school. I really must learn to not be so last minute.

      Delete
  3. I love this idea. I am taking pictures tomorrow. Would you mind sharing what font you used for the Movie, color, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first two are Kimberly Geswein fonts: KG Second Chances Sketch and KG Strawberry Limeade. In the tutorial I used Hello Birdie by Jennifer Jones of Hello Literacy, but in the finished ones I did last year I used Hello Firstie Big Gulp, also by Jennifer Jones. You can get both Kimberly and Jennifer's fonts on TpT.

    Hello Literacy

    Kimberly Geswein Fonts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, friend. This was very thorough and helpful!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curious what size you print them in to give to your students? Do you put them in a frame? I love this idea. Thanks
    maryschori@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering the same - I was thinking of 5x7 but wasn't sure if the words would be too small?

      Delete
  7. So, I followed your directions and have the cutest pics ever - but when I saved the slides as a JPeg, the resolution was too poor to print 5x7. Turns out, the size is only 89kb. So, I tried saving it as a PNG and although the size is better (775kb), the resolution is still too low to print 5x7 pics... Any suggestions?!? I need to print this out asap - last day of school is in 3 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the photo have to fit the entire slide?

      Delete
  8. Does the picture have to fit the entire slide?

    ReplyDelete