Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Passionate Pirate

I have barely started this book and I WANT TO BE A PIRATE!!  I love the introduction where Dave Burgess says, "pirates are adventurous, daring, willing to set forth in uncharted territories.  They refuse to conform to any society that stifles creativity and independence.  Although fiercely independent they travel with a diverse crew.  If you are willing to live by the code, commit to the voyage, and pull your share of the load, then you're free to set sail.  Pirates don't much care about public perception; they proudly fly their flags in defiance.  And besides everybody loves a pirate."  I want that to be me!

He tells us that we are, and need to be passionate...just like a pirate!  He asks us to think about what are our passions in content areas, professionally, and personally.  I've done some soul searching.  And I have come to the conclusion that the content I love to teach is mostly because of how I teach it.  I LOVE teaching about insects and butterflies.  But not particularly because I love butterflies and bugs, but because we get to go outside and interact with them.  I set up a butterfly house that the kids can walk into and be with the butterflies.  I love love love that!




I love books, but I don't necessarily love to teach reading.  I've been reading the Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller too, and I am trying to be more like her in my approach to reading.  I have TONS of books in my classroom and I love to let the kids have free reading time.  They ask me, "Can I read ANYTHING? "  my answer YES!  I am passionate about that.

Personally, I am passionate about things in the natural world.  I love being outside: camping, hiking, anything to do with water or just sitting and listening to the birds and wind while the sun shines though the leaves (like right now with my laptop on my lap typing this post).  I also like artistic and creative things.  I am not very good at them...but I love creating all kinds of stuff.  Those are the two things I try to share the most with my students.  I take them outside or bring the outdoors in, and we do craftivities all the time (don't you love that word?). 
 
Maybe I am on my way to being a pirate after all.


1 comment:

  1. I am loving your butterfly house! What a cool way to have your students interact with what they are learning about! The Book Whisperer is an awesome book- it too will change the way to you approach reading!

    ReplyDelete