Saturday, March 1, 2014

Five for Friday...getting ready

Another Friday is upon us....Where did this month go?  Our groundhog was wrong, and spring seems to be coming sooner than we think.  Looks like March will come in like a rainy lion, not a cold snowy one.  In like a lion out like a lamb....right?
http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2014/02/five-for-friday-linky-party-february_28.html

Time to look ahead and link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching.

This weekend I will be going back to school, partly to work on Science Fair, partly to set up a Truffula Forest.  It is a big week next week and I want to be prepared.
http://www.mrs-lodges-library.com/2012/02/truffula-trees/#.UxHsO4WdFqI

I will be making a few more of these truffula trees.  All you need is some foam pipe insulation from your local home improvement store, yellow duck tape, tissue paper, and I used pipe cleaners.  Super easy and not too expensive.  I learned how to make them Mrs. Lodge's Library blog here.  She has a great tutorial.

http://www.mrs-lodges-library.com/2012/02/truffula-trees/#.UxHsO4WdFqI

Next I will be making these books with our hat die cut.  Each hat will have at least 5 papers.  Each day we will read one book and draw a picture.  At the end of the week....we will have a record of the books we read.  Some years we included a quote from each book.  One of my favorites, from One Fish Two Fish Read Fish Blue Fish:  "I don't know, go ask your mother" 


This is my Kindergarten student asking his mother again and again to try something.


I will be checking my closet to make sure I have my black sweater and black pants.  I need them for my Friday outfit.  All I have to do is add a white oval, my tall hat, and a red bow.  B.I.N.G.O.  I am the Cat in the Hat.




My kinder kids will be wearing these hats to our Green Eggs and Ham breakfast Friday morning.  I just use the blue butcher paper we already have at school.  I fold the paper so that the folded end is the bottom of the hat, then I add a couple of staples for stability.  I draw a line  2 1/2 inches from the bottom and let my students do the cutting.






Lastly I need to get ready to make these hat cookies.  They are scheduled to be our treat next Friday.

http://merrykinderkapers.blogspot.com/2013/02/reading-week-celebrations.html
You will find the instructions here.  They are quick, inexpensive, and easy.  Just what you need for last minute fun.

Have a great week!   What are you doing to celebrate?


5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing these ideas! Lots to steal for our festivities next week! Love those little snacks-just too cute! And any kind of hat always goes over well with my kiddos! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri,
    This is just the sweetest blog! Your Dr. Seuss ideas are adorable. Thanks for sharing them - you've inspired me to try something like this too!

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the best ideas I have seen in a long time for a celebration of reading. I adore the truffula trees and cannot believe how cute they are. It all looks amazing and I bet your kids will remember this for a long time. I love this event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran....That means a lot! Thanks we are having so, so much fun!

      Delete
  4. Awe, absolutely adorable blog! I'm a 2nd grade teacher and I fell in love with your blog. Your Dr. Seuss hats for your kiddos are amazing! They brought a huge smile to my face! Too Cute! Thank you for wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete